Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal: Add Loki Library's SafeFormat to Boost:
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-01 19:56:25

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
>> You might think, well Spirit used to be a parser library, not
>> something usable for output formatting. But with the event of Spirit
>> V2 this has changed. Spirit V2 now is not only a parser generator
>> library anymore (Spirit Classic, aka V1.x, now called Spirit.Qi), but
>> got extended to cover the domain of (output) generators as well
>> (Spirit.Karma). Admittedly, the docs are not complete yet, but if you
>> know how to build a parser using Spirit.Qi you shouldn't have
>> problems using Spirit.Karma either. Everything is in the SVN (and in
>> Boost V1.37, BTW) and the examples should provide a fairly good
>> starting point.
>
> I wish you guys could appreciate how all this name changing makes
> things much more difficult for us poor library users.
>
> The fact that names are in no way descriptive is another huge time
> waster.

Just curious. How much time did you waste before you realize
that Boost.Spirit was a parser? Can you explain why it is a
"huge time waster"? IMO, it takes a second to know, while
browsing http://www.boost.org/doc/libs, that Spirit is a parser.

> Now you want to mix in another facility? At least I know
> (Or think I know) what spirit was intended to be used for. Now
> I'm not so sure. If this is a new facitity - wouldn't Boost custom/rules
> require that it be subjected a new review?

Where is this custom/rules and when did this it start to apply?

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com