Subject: Re: [boost] C++03 unique_ptr emulation
From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-03 15:45:47

Howard Hinnant wrote:
> Despite the good and generous help, I'm afraid I'm running out of time
> to learn how to use bjam for testing compile time failures. Here's
> where I'm at:
> error: Could not find parent for project at '.'
> error: Did not find Jamfile.jam or Jamroot.jam in any parent directory.
>
> I'm afraid I don't know what a "parent for project" is. And while I
> could put an empty Jamfile.jam in a parent directory, I doubt that
> would help much.
Simply put, Jam thinks of projects as hierarchical. There's the root
project, which is basically "everything that concerns the application"
and there's sub-projects, such as individual libraries, or individual
tools in a tool suite. In Boost, the root project is Boost itself, while
every library is a sub-project. Sub-projects can be further divided,
e.g. into an executable and a test suite.
The root project is controlled by a Jamroot file, while sub-projects use
Jamfile files. If Jam finds a Jamfile, it walks the directory hierarchy
upwards, collecting parent Jamfiles, until it hits the Jamroot - or the
hierarchy root and errors out. The parent projects can introduce
additional names, variables, requirements and dependencies.

So basically, Jam is complaining because you used a Jamfile when your
little project is already the root of all things.

Anyway, I'll try to boostify your project and post back.

Sebastian