Subject: Re: [boost] [spirit] Library naming and sub-libraries
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-03 21:39:01

on Fri Jan 02 2009, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not against creative freedom at all. What I'm saying are two
> things:
>
> 1. Please, chose more descriptive names for your libraries.
> 2. Major changes in library functionality should be reviewed.

Not commenting on #1. As for #2,

a. That has never been Boost's official policy. We can have a debate
   about it, but that debate has yet to occur and there's certainly no
   consensus.

b. I have never seen an example where such a change was conducted with
   good library evolution practices and it caused major problems.

c. I've seen several examples where undertaking even minor changes
   without good library evolution practices causes major pain.

d. I myself did a major, total (seriously interface-breaking) rewrite of
   Boost.Python in 2001-2002 without review, and it didn't cause any
   serious problems for users (that I know of).

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing