Subject: Re: [boost] [spirit] Library naming and sub-libraries
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-04 03:34:03

on Sat Jan 03 2009, Joel de Guzman <joel-AT-boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> 2) There's only one compelling reason I've heard so far, and that
> is from Dave (A): "if there are 4-5 sublibraries that also
> have non-mnemonic names, it does start to look pretty confusing."

well, thanks, but...

> I am open to changing the names "Qi" and "Karma" to something
> non-abstract. The names: Spirit.RD and spirit.Gen come to mind.
> Spirit.Parsing is not a good name because there can be a Spirit.LL1,
> Spirit.LR, Spirit.Packrat.
>
> I am open to suggestions. At any rate, I'd want to reserve the
> right to choosing the names.

...I agree 100%, and I wouldn't necessarily want you to change the
names of Qi and Karma based on my argument. You have built a vibrant
Spirit community and the names that community came up with are an
expression of its culture. Frankly, I think it would be un-boost-like
to impose such a mandate. We traditionally leave such choices in the
hands of the library developer.

If you choose to leave the names as they are, I only ask that you be
aware of the cognitive value that is lost by using non-mnemonic names,
and go the extra mile to make it easy for users to learn (and remember!)
what the names mean. Frankly, I think I've forgotten -- I think Qi is
the parsing part, but I wouldn't lay any serious money on it.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing