Subject: Re: [boost] Testing -fno-rtti builds (was: [function] function_base.hpp:220: error: cannot use typeid with -fno-rtti)
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-08 13:33:59

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Doug Gregor <doug.gregor_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Emil Dotchevski
> <emildotchevski_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> Yes, it's possible, and I'd certainly accept a patch that did so.
>>
>> Someone correct me if I'm doing it wrong, but for example the
>> RTTI-less and typeid-less configurations of Boost Exception, the
>> library I'm maintaining, are tested only by me on my own computer, and
>> I'm only testing them with MSVC and a single version of linux/gcc.
>> Shouldn't the automatic trunk/release tests handle these, as well as
>> other supported configurations?
>>
>> I guess what I'm saying is, I can make a patch to make boost::function
>> work without RTTI, but I'm certainly not up to running those tests
>> too. :)
>
> I'm sure you can teach bjam to build a test using the appropriate
> extra flags for each compiler, but I don't recall how to do so. Then
> we could put that test in with the rest of Boost.Function's tests.

Yes that's how I do it :) but I do not want to be running -fno-rtti
tests for boost::function on a regular basis. Also consider that
disabling RTTI comes in two flavors, since on MSVC static typeid is
available even when RTTI is disabled.

This ought to be part of all Boost testing, provided that the Boost
community cares about -fno-rtti (I can say this the other way around
too, if we're not testing the no-RTTI configuration of Boost, then we
don't care about that configuration.)

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.