Subject: Re: [boost] Pondering Futures
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-10 08:47:46

Johan Torp wrote:

> For a lot of parallelizable problems, we can never hope for any
> particularily good programming models in a languages as C++ or with the
> desktop operating systems we have today. Needless to say, that shouldn't
> stop us from extracting as much parallel performance as we can from the
> current software stack. See the first part of my thesis at www.johantorp.com
> for an in-depth discussion.

How to schedule optimally depends on the application, yes.
Just let the user customize the scheduler behavior then.

As for heterogeneous architectures, this is of course an open problem
that C++ cannot solve because you cannot predict which piece of code
will be faster on which processor.
But I don't think C++-like languages are unable to do parallelization
well on heterogeneous architectures, even those with NUMA effects.