Subject: Re: [boost] [spirit] New Header Structure [was Re: Proposal: Add Loki Library's SafeFormat to Boost:]
From: Markus Werle (numerical.simulation_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-10 12:38:44

Joel de Guzman wrote:

> Markus Werle wrote:
> [...]
>> 2. Spirit-2b is a break-all-of-the-interface-change.
>> I understand that some people prefer it to be in
>> directory spirit2 and you prefer it to be merged
>> with spirit-1. I respect your opinion and your freedom
>> but I strongly disagree.
>
> Right now, a developer can update/enhance/improve his library anyway
> he sees fit without further review.

That is exactly my point. I do not regard Spirit-2 as
update, enhancement or improvement.
I see it as something completely new and different.
OK, yes, it is an enhancement and improvement, but
not in an evolutionary sense.
I do not see any evolution, I see big changes.
There's no brick on the other anymore.

> If you or anyone else want to change the rules,

I thought that the rules already disallow the change of
90% of the interface at once.
I thought that the boost community was rather
conservative regarding interface changes.

Are there any tools to measure code distances?
Or should we write on based on Spirit-2?

> [...]
> Spirit-1 is *NOT* deprecated.
> Only the old headers are deprecated.

Can you write this sentence into the main html page
Introduction chapter of the docs?

best regards,

Markus