Subject: Re: [boost] [tr1] Help needed with Darwin port
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-13 11:46:24

> I only know about vanilla Mac OS X with Apple's developer tools, but I
> just ran some checks on several systems that have developer tools
> installed.
>
> On Leopard (Darwin 9.6.0) Apple supports both gcc 4.0 and 4.2. Both
> compilers use the same stdc++ libraries with the same headers. The
> headers seem to be in /usr/include/c++/4.0.0:
>
> $ find /usr/include -name iostream
> /usr/include/c++/4.0.0/iostream
> /usr/include/gcc/darwin/3.3/c++/iostream
>
> The location of these headers seems to remain the same across the SDKs
> for Panther, Tiger, Leopard and all versions of the iPhone OS, so I
> would expect that path to be accurate for any version of Darwin up to
> 9.6.0 that supports gcc 4.x.
>
> In Snow Leopard (Darwin 10.0.0) the situation seems somewhat
> different, as there are separate headers for gcc 4.0 and 4.2:
>
> $ find /usr/include -name iostream
> /usr/include/c++/4.0.0/iostream
> /usr/include/c++/4.2.1/iostream
>
> I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can provide additional
> information.

Thanks to Marshall and Stuart, I suspect based on the information you've
provided that it's going to be next to impossible to configure TR1
correctly... but I wonder do you know:

* Do people commonly install Boost into a system path such as /usr/include
or /usr/local/include ?
* Is it possible to detect the Darwin version number (to separate 10.0 from
9.x)?
* Do you know what happens if someone installs gcc from source (ie not from
Apples developer tools)?

Thanks! John.