Subject: Re: [boost] [tr1] Help needed with Darwin port
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-13 23:23:28

John Maddock wrote:
> Sigh, this is what I used to use, but changed it because of bug reports:
> the issue is that if you install boost in say /usr/include (as some
> Linux distro's do) then #include_next can never get you from
> /usr/include to the unknown location of the g++ std lib headers :-(

Just a few FYIs...

* All the mentions of "/usr/<wahtever>" only apply if you install Xcode
to the default location. For example, I have 2 versions of Xcode
installed most times and hence they are nowhere near a default location.

* Depending on which SDK version of Xcode you install you might get
multiple "*/usr/include/*" directories. Each with a corresponding
"*/usr/bin/g++*". For example, when I use the iPhone SDK Xcode I get,
with the latest version, 7 different "*/usr/include/*" locations.

* With the latest Xcode, i.e. 3.x, you can point to an arbitrary system
root. Which changes, to whatever you want, where the "*/usr/include/*"
and a bunch of other stuff it searches for.

* Even though you are running on some version of the OS, that has almost
no bearing on which version of the OS you are compiling for nor which
version of the headers you are compiling with. For example, you could be
running 10.5.2, and compile for 10.3 with the headers for 10.4.

HTH (BIDI)

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything