Subject: Re: [boost] Lazy list
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-18 08:20:23

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Sebastian Redl
<sebastian.redl_at_[hidden]> wrote:
[snip]

> Also, lazy lists are really an idiom from languages that are very
> comfortable with lists, i.e. mostly functional languages (Haskell, for
> example). The same idiom is, I believe, really not as practical in C++
> and other imperative languages. Modern C++ uses iterator ranges as the
> primary concept for generic handling of finite and infinite sequences,
> and there already are function-backed input iterators. The second
> concept used is input streams.

There are already function-backed input iterators in Boost?

I know there are function-backed output iterators, but not
function-backed input iterators.

I myself have been looking for something in Boost that would invoke a
function when an iterator is dereferenced and the result of which
would be a value. There are two types that I'm thinking of: a forward
iterator that invoked a nullary function and returned the result, and
a random access iterator that forwarded the base+offset to the stored
function.

Is there interest in these two types?

--
Dean Michael C. Berris