Subject: Re: [boost] Futures - Reviews Needed (January 5, 2009)
From: Johan Torp (johan.torp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-19 13:19:56

Vicente Botet Escriba wrote:

>> However, thread pools do not aim to provide good latency which might make
>> such future implementation useless for scheduling related usage (which
>> might
>> still be ok since it could be the best design option we have). I'd love
>> hear the authors views on this.
>
> Could you develop the use case you have in mind.

I'm thinking about libpoet, asio and the scheduling related use cases from
Gaskill's documentation.

Vicente Botet Escriba wrote:

>> Actually, I started writing a reply but I couldn't really understand your
>> implementation. I was hoping one of the authors would reply first and I
>> could join in later. To solve the complexity problem, I agree we need to
>> expose some stateful abstraction and can't do with just free functions.
>
> Replay to the post. Let me know what you don't understad.

I'd like acknowledgement from Anthony - that he too thinks the complexity is
a real problem - before trying to solve it.

Vicente Botet Escriba wrote:

>> If we choose require a third thread (or thread pool) for future
>> composition,
>> I'm sure there are lots of nice interfaces like your proposal above. I
>> don't
>> want to spend too much time designing these fancier features now though.
>
> Which other features would you want?

As few as possible :) I hope we can accept a minimal library first, then let
real users' need dictate the features.

Vicente Botet Escriba wrote:

>> I would not be surprised if requiring a third thread for future
>> composition
>> would render it useless for many of Gaskill's use cases, libpoet and asio
>> -
>> which means most of the identified use cases. But I'm far from sure.
>
> Could you or someone develop these needs.

The authors of asio, libpoet and Gaskill are best suited to answer if
Anthony's proposal would be useful to them.

Cheers, Johan