Subject: Re: [boost] A set of individual libraries vs. One big library
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-19 17:41:08

Emil Dotchevski wrote:

>>> How would it be extremely useful?
>>>
>> Permit me to answer that.
>>
>> a) First of all - it is ALOT less time to build and test only the libraries
>> that one actually uses rather than the whole set.
>>

> Less time than downloading the (entire) pre-built Boost distribution,
> that's already been tested?

It sounds as if you never attempted to use boost in a professional
product that needs full-scale testing or even certification.

There is much more to QA than running unit tests.

> I consider myself a prime example of someone using only a few Boost
> libraries. Still, the easiest and most reliable strategy for me is to
> download the entire Boost.

Right. Isn't that sad ? (And I won't even start to rant about ABI / API
backward-compatible ('minor') releases again, as this topic has been
beaten almost to death numerous times in the past. How more easier that
would be with a more modular approach...)

Regards,
       Stefan