Subject: Re: [boost] Vault: still needed?
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-22 17:42:18

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:21 AM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> For some time now, Boostpro Computing has been hosting the Boost file
> valut, but now that Boost has a great Subversion host I'm beginning to
> wonder whether the vault is still needed. What's the case for holding
> onto it when people could just check their speculative work into the
> sandbox and subsequently merge smoothly into the Boost trunk if it is
> accepted?

If the only purpose of the vault is as a storage for things before
they get fully boostified, then there's no need for it.

But my understanding is that it contains things that may never become
official part of Boost. In that case, the vault provides means for
distribution of Boost-related files, for which SVN is inadequate for
the same reason it's inadequate to be the only way to distribute Boost
itself.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.