Subject: Re: [boost] Two minor (?) legal-related questions (empty lines and "Boost sponsorship")
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-28 08:57:07

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Gennaro Prota <gennaro.prota_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> the "how to apply to source files" entry at
>
> <http://www.boost.org/users/license.html>
>
> asks to leave an empty line before and after the comment block
> which contains copyright notice and license reference. I'm
> wondering if that was an advice from the lawyers who wrote the
> license or just a stylistic preference.

Stylistic.

> Also, I just saw a BoostSponsorshipAgreement.pdf in the more/
> subdirectory. What is it?

That's the legal document that was signed when Boost joined the
Software Freedom Conservancy.

The critical effect is that it makes Boost tax exempt under US tax
rules and regulations. That makes BoostCon nontaxable, and cuts our
administrative paperwork too.

The Software Freedom Conservancy folks are also being very helpful in
other ways with BoostCon finances. The agreement is working out well
in practice.

--Beman