Subject: Re: [boost] Two minor (?) legal-related questions (empty linesand"Boost sponsorship")
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-28 11:35:50

On
> Behalf Of Niels Dekker - mail address until 2010-10-10
> Sent: 28 January 2009 15:13
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] Two minor (?) legal-related questions (empty
linesand"Boost
> sponsorship")
>
> Gennaro Prota wrote:
> > the "how to apply to source files" entry at
> > <http://www.boost.org/users/license.html>
> > asks to leave an empty line before and after the comment block
> > which contains copyright notice and license reference. I'm
> > wondering if that was an advice from the lawyers who wrote the
> > license or just a stylistic preference.
>
> Beman Dawes wrote:
> > Stylistic.
>
> Thomas Klimpel wrote:
> > So the inspection report tool will not be affected by missing empty
> > lines?
>
> And would it be okay to have the comment block located /after/ the
> include guard macro? For my personal header files I prefer to have the
> include-guard defined at the very first line. Which makes life easier
> when I need to dive into the preprocessor output...

Well - what about Doxygen comments like

/*!
  \file svg_2d_plot.hpp
  \brief Create 2D plots in Scalable Vector Graphic (SVG) format.
  \author Jacob Voytko & Paul A. Bristow
 */

// Copyright Jacob Voytko 2007
// Copyright Paul A. Bristow 2007, 2008, 2009

// Use, modification and distribution are subject to the
// Boost Software License, Version 1.0.
// (See accompanying file LICENSE_1_0.txt
// or copy at http://www.boost.org/LICENSE_1_0.txt)

#ifndef BOOST_SVG_SVG_2D_PLOT_HPP
#define BOOST_SVG_SVG_2D_PLOT_HPP

This *feels* as though it should come first?

But I think that a consistent recommended style is the key thing.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse