Subject: Re: [boost] [1.38] CMake support added to release branch?
From: Vicente Botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-01 13:44:07

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 7:20 PM

> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:57 AM, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I see from the 1.38 news section that experimental CMake support has been
>> added to the release: I thought we were going to have a review before this
>> happened?
>
> Hum... I must have missed that discussion, and OK'ed the request to merge.
>
> The CMake support is certainly experimental, but do you think there is
> any harm done by including it in the release in its current state? We
> can certainly publicize the fact that the support is experimental.

Hi,
I think that the inclusion of a experimental tool/library needs some explanations.

Why CMake needs to be included on 1.38 as experimental? Who will experiment? and why she can not experiment from the sandbox?
Which test cases have been runned and on which machines?
Where can we get the documentation?
What does it means "the support is experimental"?
Can any developer add a non review library or tool as experimental on the distribution?

Resuming, what makes CMake different from other tools/libraries?

Thanks,
Vicente