Subject: Re: [boost] [1.38] Beta release of PDF documentation (and some help needed).
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-09 07:21:44

John Maddock wrote:
> Time taken for a 1000 page doc is not 10x the time for a 100 page doc: some
> things, certainly index generation (which we're not using at present, but
> I'm experimenting with now) and also seemingly hyperlinking and document
> outlining require more than O(N) time, probably more like O(N^2) for
> indexing.

XSLT has a feature called "keys" that lets you re-write O(n^2) code to
be O(N log N). xsltproc has a --profile option that can help identify
where the time is spent. Beware, however, that libxslt [and I guess
that you're using libxslt, right?] has in the past had bugs in its
implementation of this relatively rarely used feature.

Phil.