Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Review-ready version in the Vault
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-12 11:07:55

Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi Andrey,
>
> > I totally agree that lack of [syslog support] on Windows is a huge
> > gap. However, I believe such a project should be standalone, and
> > probably outside of Boost.
>
> in my humble opinion, platform-independence is one of the key benefits
> that I'd expect from using a library such as Boost.Log. If your library
> doesn't provide that, then I would not want to see it included in Boost.

If you provide the syslog client API implementation for Windows, I'm
sure the library will work out of box with it. The library does not aim
to reimplement every native API it uses, it simply allows to employ
different ways of logging in a unified manner. And, maybe, a little
more. This may not be enough for your needs, but I believe others might
find it useful.