Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Review-ready version in the Vault
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-13 10:15:56

Dmitry Goncharov wrote:

> syslog() generates log messages for syslogd. There is no syslogd on
> windows.
> Where do you expect the syslog backend pass the messages to?

The syslog() and syslogd are the POSIX API, which among other things
allows to send log data to a remote server, using the syslog protocol,
which Peter refers to as RFC3164. The syslogd daemon, as well as many
other similar daemons, is capable of doing many more things with the log
data than to send it via the syslog protocol.

I feel that this approach may be valid for Windows, too. In particular,
I think that implementing a POSIX-compliant syslog API can have its
independent value. Among traditional support for RFC3164 and log files
it could support Windows-specific actions, like passing log records to
the Windows Event Log.

As for Boost.Log, once the POSIX API is implemented on Windows, it will
be supported by Boost.Log right away.