Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: interest in Unicode codecs?
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-14 17:09:52

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Phil Endecott
<spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> /* snip */
> Yes, a Unicode character properties library is important to those who are
> writing text editors and similar applications. Perhaps Boost should have
> one. I have personally used the Unicode properties tables for doing
> "approximate matching" of e.g. accented characters with their base
> characters when searching. But I can do that equally well in UTF-8 as in
> UTF-32.

If you are all interested in other opinions, I would love for boost to
have a UTF8(16/32) helper library. I use ICU for many things, but it
is too bulky for the little I use of it, as well as the syntax does
not match anything else I use (a rather boost inspired design my
projects stay). A boost library would be wonderful.

And yes, UTF8/16/32 all encode the same character set, just different
levels of compressibility and searching speed.