Subject: [boost] [future|interprocess] Could futures live in shared memory and synchronize process?
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-16 17:19:41

Hi,

I'm working on Boost.Synchro a synchronization library that try to provide generic synchronization mechanism that can be used so synchronize threads or process.

As a future is a synchronization mechanism, I was wondering if futures are intrisic of mutil-threaded programs and so they live in the protected process memory or if the concept can be used in a multi-process context and have futures/promises living on shared memory.

Ion, what do you think, could it be possible to use futures/promises to synchronize process? Have some one a specific use case for this?

Best regards,
Vicente Juan Botet Escribá