Subject: Re: [boost] Request for interest in the new Synchro library
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-17 12:53:12

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dmitry Goncharov" <dgoncharov_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 10:54 AM

> Hi Vicente,
>
> I am interested in a binary semaphore, which is a semaphore with a count
> 0 or 1 only. No matter how many times it was posted the count doesn't
> exceed 1.
> boost.interprocess doc mentions that the semaphore from
> boost.interprocess can be binary if you initialize it with 1. However,
> if you post that semaphore twice the count increases twice as well.
> What type of semaphore are you planning to have in your library?

Hi,

currently Synchro provides the same semaphore as Boost.Interprocess (counting semaphores), except that it uses Threads resources on a inter-threads context, and Interprocess resources on a inter-process context.

The library could provide binary semaphores (the difference is minimal). Could you talk us about your use case, and why a mutex cannot be used in your context?

Let me know if you need other kind of semaphores.

Best,
Vicente