Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review Request: Boost.String.Convert
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-17 14:46:02

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 14:39, Emil Dotchevski <emildotchevski_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> My question is, what is the motivation for the convert function?
> What's the use case for it that doesn't work with
> to_string/from_string?

I said I can't stand prepositions (from, to) used as identifiers, and
wanted the functions to be verbs. I don't think I said I like just
plain "convert" though; I would certainly prefer to_string and
from_string to a nebulous, domain-ambiguous "convert" function.

The one use case that can see that doesn't "fit" with to_string and
from_string would be string <=> wstring and such, but that would be
better as transcode or something anyways.