Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review Request: Boost.String.Convert
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-18 14:11:59

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 13:02, Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> lexical_cast is used for many type-to-type conversions, not just with strings. Why would this be any different?

Do you have some examples of uses where neither source nor target is
string-like? I can't come up with any and there are no such examples
in the documentation. (I understand that it's possible, but haven't
seen where it's useful.)

Looking at the lexical_cast documentation brought up an interesting
point, actually. The FAQ[1] mentions that
lexical_cast<std::string>(uint8_t(32)) doesn't do what people first
expect, which may be a point in favour of separating the different
kinds of casts.

[1] http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_38_0/libs/conversion/lexical_cast.htm#faq