Subject: Re: [boost] Trac tickets: fixed in trunk vs. fixed in release
From: Juergen Hunold (juergen.hunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-22 11:29:30

Hi Dave !

On Sunday 22 February 2009, David Abrahams wrote:
> on Sat Feb 21 2009, "Steve M. Robbins" <steve-AT-sumost.ca> wrote:

> > For each bug, there are really two levels of "fixed": roughly
> > speaking, the developer considers the issue fixed when it is
> > committed to trunk, while the user considers the issue fixed when
> > it is commited to the release branch.
>
> Yes, this is one place our current branching system is breaking down.

Well, trac/subversion was not designed to handles such a setup. So no
wonder it is breaking...
Use something changeset based for this. git (or maybe bzr).

> > At present, the trac ticket is closed at the first gate.
> > Unfortunately, sometimes the second gate gets forgotten. Could
> > another state be added to the ticket lifecycle to track when it
> > gets merged to release?
>
> It's an excellent idea. We should also update the post-commit hook
> to be able to close the ticket when "fixes #xxx" shows up int the
> checkin comment on the release branch.

I am monitoring the whole "release branch" hell for some time now. And
most commits are "whole subtree" merges with messages like "Merge
<mylib> to release".
As long as no merge tracking is used (either svnmerge.py or Subversion
server- and client-side > 1.5.5) this will simply not work.

> > My aim is to be able to identified "fixed" tickets that are not
> > actually released and, hopefully, to decrease them in number.
> > Maybe there are other ways to achieve this?
>
> I'm afraid there's no easy way. I usually just pore through the diffs
> between trunk and branches/release.

Well, those are getting slowly bigger...

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold       ! Ingenieurgesellschaft für
* voice: ++49 511 262926 57       ! Verkehrs- und Eisenbahnwesen mbH