Subject: Re: [boost] [python] Making a Python tuple from a Fusion sequence
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-27 11:38:37

Bruno Lalande wrote:
>> What exactly to you mean by 'adding to boost.python' ? Would this add a
>> dependency, either to boost.python or to boost.fusion, or would that be a
>> stand-alone 'module' itself dependent on both ?
>>

> I'm talking about making this little tool available somewhere in the
> boost/python directory, but you can indeed see it as standalone. It
> will be an optional header that users can include if they need it
> (like the indexing suites), so not really a "dependency".

Yes, but it will still be a dependency for packagers that try to build
modular boost packages.
A potential packager who attempts to build a boost.python package will
either have to make the newly generated boost.python package dependent
on a boost.fusion package, or he will have to exclude this header from
his boost.python package.

This question is by far not specific to this particular case. On Fedora,
for example, there is only a single 'boost' package, containing
everything (not exactly modular, isn't it ?!). Debian provides a
'boost-python' package, but it drags in dependencies to things as
tangential as 'boost-serialization' !

I don't think this is an acceptable practice, but since boost so far
seems to refuse to take leadership in providing packaging guidelines (or
otherwise help make boost more modular), things won't improve.

Regards,
       Stefan