Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review Request: Boost.Convert
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-27 13:47:55

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:44 PM
> Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>> You can do this by requiring uuid.hpp to include all kinds of headers
>> and template goodness, learn your complex argument forwarding
>> framework -or- you can design your framework in a way that allows it
>> to bind simple function declarations or even member functions and
>> expose them through the generic convert<> interface.
>
> The framework uses IOStreams to do its work.  I believe the conversion functionality for the uuid type is captured via:
>
>   namespace user
>   {
>      class uuid;
>
>      template <class Stream>
>      Stream &
>      operator <<(Stream &, uuid const &);
>   }

If operator<< was a reasonable to-string alternative, we wouldn't be
needing a library for it.

It is relevant, of course, and the framework should be able to
automatically bind suitable operator<< overloads if they exist. It
should also provide a generic operator<< overload that calls convert,
so all types that integrate in the convert framework are automatically
compatible with streams.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.