Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review Request: Boost.Convert
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-27 14:24:50

On Friday, February 27, 2009 2:20 PM
Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Stewart, Robert
> <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > With the Boost.Parameters approach, the formatting options
> > are gathered into, conceptually, a dictionary which is
> > accessed by keys. A given convert function template must
> > know about the keys it deems important and can use them to
> > access the desired options.
>
> I don't see why this is necessary in the case of convert. Whenever the
> caller uses a formatting parameter, the function the call binds to has
> to understand that parameter. In our case, there are two contexts that
> can deal with formatting parameters: the user-defined overloads, and
> the generic framework overloads. If the formatting parameter is
> generic, then it's reasonable for the framework to handle it. If not,
> then it is irrelevant to the framework itself. It can't do anything
> with it, well, other than pack it into a dictionary to send it to the
> user. :)

If the framework uses a formatting option to provide default formatting support, then should that option be passed to the UDT's conversion function? If some of those arguments are consumed, in what order should the rest be passed to the UDT's conversion function? How will the framework know that one of the formatting options is supported but not the others in order to know to provide the default formatting support?

I don't understand how you think the framework can manage all of this magic. Are we talking past one another somehow?

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]