Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Convert+Boost.Parameter
From: Vladimir Batov (batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-28 18:05:20

> From: "Hartmut Kaiser" <hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden]>
> The documentation for Spirit 2 is still in the process of being written.
> Parts of it are in place, but not all of it. Joel and I are working on it
> have it ready for BoostCon.

Yes, the docs are admittedly patchy. With you mentioning parse&generate I
ran straight to
.../parsing_and_generating.html just to find a work-in-progress page. Poked
here and there. Often the same. That's OK I can wait. I hope you'll keep all
this lexical_cast/convert noise in mind when filling in the blanks. :-)

> ... A
> good source of information you will find by looking at the examples and
> tests in the repository.

Thanks. Will do.

> and for user types (uses operator<<() and operator>>()):
>
> convert<spirit::tag::stream>::to()
> convert<spirit::tag::stream>::from()

Is it possible to have something like

    convert<int>::from()
    convert<user_type>::from()

(we do not need 'to' with the interface).

> (spirit::stream is an instance of spirit::tag::stream). The idea would be
> use Spirit directly if you need more powerful constructs like sequences
> and
> convert for conversion of single items.

For more powerful constructs my preference will probably be to "use Spirit
directly" literally instead of through the (likely limiting) convert
interface.

V.