Subject: Re: [boost] [utility] new auto_buffer class --- RFC
From: Matt Calabrese (rivorus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-02 10:00:33

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Mathias Gaunard <
mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> With VLAs, the buffer is on the stack whatever the capacity. With
> auto_buffer, the buffer is on the stack only if the capacity is smaller than
> N (which you define to be 256 by default).

I am wondering if there should be a default at all for N here as it seems
like it is not really possible to make a good decision as to what that
default value should be at the library level. If anything, I'd suggest at
least having the default value able to be easily changed by users of the
library with a #define. That raw, magic 256 at such a level is just a little
scary to me.

--
-Matt Calabrese