Subject: Re: [boost] [threadpool] parallel_sort example
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-02 15:31:38

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Endecott" <spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 3:35 PM

> vicente.botet wrote:
>> I have implemented a parallel sort with the threadpool library
>
> Hi Vicente,
>
> I have not tried to totally understand your code, but can you explain:
>
>> partition<Range> parts(range, BOOST_PARTS);
>
>> return boost::inplace_merge(rng, boost::begin(rng)+(boost::size(rng)/2));
>
> Is this right when BOOST_PARTS != 2 ?

Good point Phil,

No this do not works. If BOOST_PARTS is 4 we will have 4 partitions sorted that need to be merged. The boost::inplace_merge works only for two parts. I don't know if a parallel merge could improve the performaces on processors with more cores. A merge of N sorted parts should be easily parallelized, but I have not yet done this. May be this will be the next step.

Thanks for the remark,
Vicente