Subject: Re: [boost] [optional] little addition - Number of numbers in MIME From exceeds maximum threshold
From: Arno Schödl (aschoedl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-03 19:28:03

> > I'm normally against obscure functions that are meant to save a few
> > keystrokes. OTOH, while the verbose alternative is perfectly clear and I
> > wouldn't even consider searching for a shortcut, this particular
> > shortcut looks clear enough to justify it.
> >
> > So, Arno: don't you agree swap is better?

> Would a function like optional<T>::swap_if_initialized(T&) indeed be the
> preferable one for Arno's use case? It isn't yet entirely clear to me,
> as it seems that Arno would like to have an implicit conversion, while
> passing the value from optional<T> to its target.

Sorry for not responding earlier. I don't see how my use case is special
over regular assignment, apart from the fact that the
assignment is conditional. Like for any assignment, move optimization
is certainly appreciated, and my use cases are indeed r-value assignments.

Arno

--
Dr. Arno Schoedl · aschoedl_at_[hidden]
Technical Director

think-cell Software GmbH · Invalidenstr. 34 · 10115 Berlin, Germany
http://www.think-cell.com · phone +49-30-666473-10 · toll-free (US) +1-800-891-8091
Directors: Dr. Markus Hannebauer, Dr. Arno Schoedl · Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 85229