Subject: Re: [boost] [math] Does any one interesting in calculating derivative for a expression automatically?
From: Brandon Kohn (blkohn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-06 10:02:21

From: "Dongfei Yin" <yin.dongfei_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 8:04 AM
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Subject: Re: [boost] [math] Does any one interesting in calculating
derivative for a expression automatically?

> You know, there are too many functions in math, so I think I can't
> implement all of them, the functions included in standard library is
> enough for me. and I will make it easy to be extended. what do you think
> about it, I mean how many functions should I implement.

My advice would be to make the interface for supporting math functions
extensible and held at arms length. The std math functions like pow, sin etc
are generally working only with native types. There are those among us that
use things like GMP or rational number libraries with unlimited precision
for our numerical types. In these cases we have either defined our own trig
or transcendental functions or had them supplied with a 3rd party lib. It
would be nice to be able to generate derivative expressions which then may
be applied to these types and with the use of our specialized math
functions.

Hope this helps,

With regards,

Brandon