Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Polynomial library review begins today
From: Ravi (lists_ravi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-11 10:15:42

Hi Paweł,

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 06:47:28 Paweł Kieliszczyk wrote:
> > Is this the latest version? It does not compile for me, since
> polynomial.hpp
>
> > uses pow on lines 370 and 372. It needs to include cmath and also needs a
> > "using std::pow;" statement.

Even if <cmath> is included indirectly somewhere else (in your version of
boost), you should still explicitly include it in polynomial.hpp since it is a
direct dependency and since the external header that includes <cmath> may
change in a future revision.

> > Second, there are compile errors upon trying to multiply two polynomials
> > together (code attached). I am using boost 1.38.0 with gcc 4.3.2 on Linux
> > x86_64.
>
> Hm... I've been writing the library on Linux platform using Boost 1.36.0.
> As far as I know my mentor Fernando Cacciola was using the lib on Windows
> and he hasn't notified me about any problems.

Did you try compiling the test case attached in my previous email? Note that
the compilation errors are on Linux, not Windows.

It is possible that some requirement for FieldType is not satisfied by my
FieldElem class which implements GF(256) arithmetic. However, the
documentation is completely silent on the requirements for FieldType (as Paul
Bristow pointed out). Please let me know if any requirements are not met.

Regards,
Ravi

PS: Please reply to this mail directly; combining replies to several threads
in a single email makes it hard to follow separate sub-threads of a
discussion.