Subject: Re: [boost] [math] calculate derivative automatically.
From: Ross Levine (ross.levine_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-11 11:11:57

I am going to have to agree with Hervé. If I want a derivative, I can
use maple: diff(function, variable). I just don't see templated
differentiation as all that useful. As an engineer, if I'm using C++
for a task that needs function evaluation, all derivatives will be
precomputed. Also, you have to take care of things like pow(), exp(),
log() and log10(), sqrt(), repeated fractions, etc. It would be
possible, but ultimately, it's going to take forever to compile and it
probably just isn't going to be that useful to most people.