Subject: Re: [boost] [geometry] robustness approaches
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-15 23:59:05

Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> I agree.
>
> I've always thought that the adaptive floating-point arithmetic of
> Douglas Priest [1] and Jonathan Shewchuk [2] would be a good way to do
> this for floats and doubles. Any interest in developing a boost
> version of this code?

I'm aware of Shewchuk's work. He is a friend of one of my team mates. His 2D Delauney library (Triangles) is considered definitive. However, his software license is not free. I think providing in boost a library such as the adaptive floating point arithmetic Shewchuk's Triangles is based on is a great idea, but it can't be a derivitive work of Shewchuk's code. To be sucessful such a library should be developed along side an application for it such as his Delauney triangulation that will drive its development. It would be hard to develop in isolation.

Luke