Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] atomic
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-16 07:38:42

Hi Sergei,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sergei Politov" <spolitov_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 11:56 AM
Subject: [boost] [thread] atomic

> Hi,
>
> I would like to known state of atomic (class/operations) implementation in
> boost.
> There are several threads that contains references to atomics, but I
> cannot find the state of this issue.
> May be I've overlooked something.
>
> I would like to known the following:
> 1) Is there defined interface for atomics? Where is it if present?

There is the standard interface C++ Atomic Types and Operations
 http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2427.html

> 2) What is the state of this work?

I don't know of any portable and complete implementation. Oliver has implemented it partially in his ThreadPool library. I think Anthony has also an implementation on Interl processors.

> Currently I use my own implementation of atomic class.
> It has interface similar to atomic class from intel tbb (also it contains
> some ideas from tbb, but AFAIK ideas are not under GPL license).
> Now it is tested on MSVC 9.0 32-bit, and GCC 4.2.4 under Gentoo linux
> (both 32 and 64-bit).
> I can boostify and prepare it for review, if there is no such work already
> in progress.

It will be great if you and all the interested people woked together towards a complete implementation of the standard interface.

Best,
Vicente