Subject: Re: [boost] [asio] experience with cygwin
From: bnv (bnv_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-16 11:50:43

<bnv <at> nc.rr.com> writes:

> 1. The cygwin documentation only states that the __USE_W32_SOCKETS flag must
be defined, but the
> documentation should also mention that the _WIN32_WINNT flag should be
defined (0x0501 for XP) to avoid a
> warning, and that the ws2_32 and mswsock libraries are needed (at least for
XP).

> 2. The documentation for the ip::tcp::socket object specifies that the cancel
() member will "cancel all
> asynchronous operations associated with the socket". However, when called
just before closing the
> socket, I get an exception along the lines of "operation not supported on
this object" (I don't have the
> exact message in front of me right now). By not calling it, my async
handlers are invoked with an error on
> closing the socket.
>
> 3. The application has a signal handler (e.g., SIGINT). However, when the
process is inside
> asio::io_service::run(), the signal handler appears to somehow get suspended
and I have to do a "kill -9"
> rather than just hitting ctrl-c. Is this intentional/expected? Is there a
work around, perhaps looping
> on asio::io_service::run_one()?

I found the documentation on ASIO macros, which address my first two points,
and apologize for generating the extra chatter. I could still use some
feedback on the third point regarding signals. Perhaps disabling IOCP to
force a select() based implementation will resolve that.

-Brian