Subject: Re: [boost] Question on ABI tags and autolinking
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-17 12:38:30

AMDG

Philip Lowman wrote:
> I'm working on some cleanup of CMake's FindBoost module and had a few
> questions about Boost and it's ABI tags.
>
> 1. Are the ABI tags as defined on the webpage below always defined in this
> order in generated libraries?
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_38_0/more/getting_started/windows.html#library-naming

Yes.

> 2. Regarding the "-s" ABI tag, the current CMake module has a deficiency and
> only searches for it under Windows and only after not being able to find a
> non "-s" library there. On other platforms it doesn't search for the "-s"
> at all. I'm curious what the defaults are for building Boost against static
> C/C++ system libraries using Boost's present build system?

The default is not to build against the static runtime.

> Does this happen
> on compilers other than VS? I just want to know if there is any history to
> this oddity or if it's just a bug.

The library selected needs to match the program.

> 3. Are "-p", "-n", and "-y" ABI tags persistent across all generated
> libraries filenames once one of them is enabled? In other words, the
> generated Boost library filenames vary only on "-s" (static runtime) , "-g"
> (debug standard/runtime libs) , and "-d" (debug build of boost library)?

It's possible to build any combination of libraries.
For example,
bjam link=static,shared runtime-link=static,shared debug release
stdlib=stlport,native python-debugging=on,off

> 4. None of this changes (or will change) under the CMake build of Boost, I
> trust?
>
> 5. Is there a consolidated list of Boost libraries online for which
> MSVC/Borland/etc. auto-linking is always against the shared library? I'd
> like to be able to link the end-user to a list of these, if possible.

All libraries support both static and dynamic linking, although
filesystem has a #error for the shared library on borland.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe