Subject: Re: [boost] Can a Boost library use a component like GMP and mfpr that have a LGPL license ?
From: herve martin (hervemart1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-20 14:05:32

Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> I suspect this is not the only time this will crop up, especially with the
> two very well developed and refined 'big' multiprecision number libraries,
> GMP (http://gmplib.org) and mfpr (www.mfpr.org).

[...]

> I agree that it would be unfortunate to re-invent the wheel to produce our
> own (probably inferior) version of these components.
>
> So what do we do?
>
> Might we enter into discussion with GMP and mfpr developers to get explicit
> permission to package their library within Boost?

If these libraries are comfortable why do not just add some links to them in
the boost web site and recommend them for users who may need this kind of
features ? In the infortunate case where their APIs would be not suitable
with boost concepts maybe an adaptation layer could be sufficient ?

Kind regards,
Herve