Subject: Re: [boost] [geometry] robustness approaches
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-20 20:14:16

Fernando Cacciola wrote:
> When I first incorporated GPC (which btw has, easily, thousands of
> users) into a project, I spend a lot of time studying its robutness
> by feeding it specially designed test cases. It passed them all, so
> it appeared to evident that it was robust for all practical purposes.
>
> The project evolved until one day I started to recieve, with
> increasing
> frequency, bug reports that boiled down (after many wated hours) to be
> robustness issues within GPC. Soon a geometric pattern popped up as
> the culprit:
> a complex figure F and another figure F2 obtained by shifting F a
> really *really* small amount, then subtrating F2 from F.
>
> That pattern totally choked GPC, even after years of succidingly
> producing
> correct results. In the end my client had to buy the CGAL clipper
> wich is
> slower, nowhere cheap, but truly 100% robust.

That's really interesting. I didn't realize GPC was so used. We are testing GPC to compare its performance to GTL. Our impression of GPC was not very favorable based on its web site, API and feature set. I figured out that its input polygons can be "multiple disjoint contours" but it doesn't handle multiple overlapping contours. If I have thousands of polygons and they are not disjoint, how do I merge them together with GPC?

Luke