Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Interest check for 3d geometry proposal
From: Patrick Mihelich (patrick.mihelich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-26 23:31:00

I hate to rain on your enthusiasm, but I agree with Luke that your
high-performance low-dimensional linear algebra library is not very
compelling. You will only be reinventing the wheel. This problem is already
solved beautifully by Eigen2, which you should take a second look at -
unlike uBLAS, it has first-class support for fixed-size vectors/matrices and
does very clever SIMD optimizations. There is also Sony's Vector Math
library in Bullet, I believe. These have liberal licenses - not so liberal
as Boost, but good enough.

Improving the performance of uBLAS could make for a couple of nice GSOC
projects. One would be proper fixed-size matrix support, then
metaprogramming to do loop unrolling when appropriate. Another would be SIMD
autovectorization, but I think this is best done after the first project and
requires something like Joel's SIMD library or Eigen2's SIMD wrappers. It's
also pretty hard. Then again I'm not sure how worthwhile it is for uBLAS to
compete with Eigen2 (and perhaps Joel's NT2 library) at this point.

A selection of 3-dimensional geometry algorithms could be interesting,
though. That would already be meaty enough for a GSOC project. My suggestion
would be to work with Barend & Bruno and simply write your algorithms using
their primitives, Point etc. These are already fixed-size and can be
SIMD-accelerated for the 3/4-dimensional case through partial specialization
if you end up with extra time on your hands - much easier than fixing uBLAS,
and I think you will have much more of an impact integrating with an
existing geometry library than writing your own from scratch.

Good luck,
Patrick