Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Opinions and suggestions for improving CGI library
From: Darren Garvey (darren.garvey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-27 09:50:24

Hi Eugene,
2009/3/26 Eugene Wee <crystalrecursion_at_[hidden]>

> I hope to participate in this year's Google Summer of Code by working on a
> project for Boost, and would like to get opinions and suggestions on what I
> intend to do.
>
> In GSoC 2007, Darren Garvey worked on a CGI library under the mentorship of
> Christopher Kohlhoff. This sounded interesting to me, as my first forays
> into programming were for the Web with PHP, but I never actually used CGI
> with C++, even though I have been aware of cgicc and Wt for some time.
>
> I contacted Darren, who informed me that while he was still working on the
> library, he lacked the time to implement many features, and would welcome
> help. There were a number of features that he highlighted, but three of
> them
> stood out for me:

Having spoken to Eugene off-list, I'm really interested in reading his
proposal. I was (another) one of those people who thought I'd be able to
make time to complete the GSoC work after it ended - but here we are nearly
2 years later and there are still some glaring areas that I haven't had time
to properly implement, document and write unit tests for. Completing it (or
any of the other unfinished GSoC projects for that matter) would be really
quite cool, IMHO.

I think the features Eugene mentioned should fit into the GSoC timeline, as
long as the proposal is reasonably focused. I'd love to get involved in
helping, but I'm not sure how best to do that. Is there an 'approved list of
mentors' (note: this question has already been asked here:
http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2009/03/149883.php)?

Cheers,
Darren