Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Boost graph library - Hypergraphs
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-27 11:09:39

> it is (obviously) correct that hypergraphs are "undirected", since
> those structures mentioned below are "directed hypergraphs".

Since an incidence matrix can be used to implement either, it doesn't make
sense to (to me) discuss them exclusively. The fact that the term
"hypergraph" denotes to its "undirected" property does not exclude the data
structure from being used to implement both. This is directly analogous to
the definitions of the adjacency list and matrix in the BGL.

Hypergraphs themselves are already such complicated beasts, that I would
> predict
> that no useful library can come out of a concept combining "directed
> hypergraphs"
> with hypergraphs.

I don't think that "It's challenging, therefore it's not useful" strikes the
right tone here.

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]