Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Interest check for 3d geometry proposal
From: Kornel Kisielewicz (kornel.kisielewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-27 12:27:05

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Simonson, Lucanus J
<lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> I doubt that all could be done in 3 months, but I'm pretty damn sure
>> it would be faster to build them from basic vector blocks then from
>> uBLAS.
>
> In a previous summer of code the focus on 2D spatial query data structures failed to yield correct or fast implementations, and the API was not suitably generic for boost.  Is it realistic to expect better for 3D spatial query data structures this time around?

I believe so. I believe that I have the neccessary skills to execute a
project like that with at least "should be improved but works well"
quality.

> students run out of time.  That probably ammounts to more work than just doing it yourself from the start.  Mentoring should be viewed as akin to charitable giving.  Instead of asking what valuable code they can produce, lets ask what valuable experience we can give.

Please remember that not all students here are only for the experience
or the money. My motivation for example is to take a chance on having
code I've written included some day in boost. If I assumed that
there's no chance for that, I wouldn't bother -- there's nothing more
depressing than writing code that no one cares about.

--
regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz