Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] fixed size matrix class? (was: Interest check for 3d geometry proposal)
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-29 01:25:29

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Patrick Mihelich
<patrick.mihelich_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I think a fixed-size matrix class would be a great GSoC project. Or base of
> a larger project for the really ambitious student :). Many extra points if
> it is able to piggy-back on Joel's SIMD library. Lack of good fixed-size
> support is one reason I abandoned uBLAS.
>
> Who and why would use the fixed size matrix class?
>
> This seems like a strange question coming from a game developer. Fixed-size
> matrix can be dramatically more efficient since you can stack-allocate it
> and make optimal use of SIMD instructions. I use Eigen2's fixed-size
> vectors/matrices all the time.

I think you misunderstood my question. It was in reply to something
along the lines of "we can write it and even if it isn't good for game
developers, that's fine." My point was that game developers are the
primary audience for such a library. See my previous post:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/187988.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.