Subject: Re: [boost] [mirror] -- RFC
From: Matus Chochlik (chochlik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-30 12:44:05

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Giovanni Piero Deretta
<gpderetta_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Matus Chochlik <chochlik_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Mathias Gaunard
>> <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> Matus Chochlik wrote:
>>>
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> From a quick reading of the documentation, I can see this library allows:
>>> - to register members of a class and to be able to iterate them later at
>>> compile-time. That kind of thing is already provided by Boost.Fusion
>>> somehow.
>>
>> Yes, Boost.Fusion allows this,  but I can't imagine any complex
>> application using just Fusion tuples instead of any regular classes.
>> Furthermore Mirror can work with existing third-party classes
>
> Boost.Fusion allows mapping non-intrusively regular classes to fusion.sequences.

I didn't mean to say Boost.Fusion couldn't do this. Mirror just tries
to provide some
more meta-data (which is it's primary function) then Fusion does. I'm
not claiming
that Mirror provides some completely new functionality in all areas
that it covers,
and in fact it's much more useful when used with other Boost libraries
like for example
Type Traits, MPL, Fusion, Serialization, etc.

> And, FWIW, I have written complex applications using fusion tuples
> (heck, even plain tupes) instead of regular classes.

Hmm, it seems that my imagination is not so good afterall .. ;-)