Subject: Re: [boost] [safebool] Can we generalize it and put it into utilities?
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-30 20:27:04

On Monday, March 30, 2009 7:09 PM
Vladimir Batov wrote:

> struct Foo
> { ...
> operator safebool<Foo>::type() const
> { return safebool<Foo>(condition); }
> };

I think "safe_bool" is the better spelling than "safebool" because "safe" and "bool" are separate words.

"type" is a good replacement for "result" since it is shorter, but don't call the member function pointer. That is, omit the parentheses:

   operator safe_bool<Foo>::type
   { return safe_bool<Foo>(condition); }

I don't care for the implicit conversion on which that relies.

> or
> operator safebool<Foo>::type() const
> { return safebool<Foo>::make(c); }

"make" should be spelled "apply." It's longer but more in keeping with the rest of Boost.

> or
> operator safebool<Foo>::type() const
> { return make_safebool<Foo>(c); }
>
> I still like the first one but the other two seemed strong
> contenders and I realize they might be marginally faster
> (in theory anyway).

There's certainly something to be said for avoiding the construction of a temporary in which to save the bool on which the implicit conversion operator depends. Everything is simpler:

   template <class T>
   struct safe_bool
   {
      typedef void (safe_bool::*type)() const;

      static type
      apply(bool _value)
      { return _value ? &safe_bool::_() : 0; }

      void
      _() const {};
   };

I took the liberty of renaming "true_" to "_" as the function exists only as a placeholder and shouldn't be used. You can make it private if you like, of course, but who would bother creating an instance of safe_bool<T> just to call the _ member function that does nothing?

make_safe_bool<Foo>(c) would be easier written make_safe_bool(this, c), with the compiler deducing Foo from this, but since the return type must already be spelled safe_bool<Foo>::type, then the function body can be spelled safe_bool<Foo>::apply(c) just as easily.

Usage is now:

   struct Foo
   {
      operator safe_bool<Foo>::type() const
      { return safe_bool<Foo>::apply(condition); }
   };

That looks clean and consistent.

> Documented the need, the usage and the solution.

The rationale for templatizing the code is good. I'm glad you included that. It might be good to link to http://www.artima.com/cppsource/safebool.html, Bjorn Karlsson's article on the subject, for background.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]