Subject: [boost] My ideas for GSoC project
From: Bal¹a Raièeviæ (balsa.raicevic_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-31 04:46:33

Hello,

I'm a Computer Science student from Faculty of Mathematics, University of
Belgrade. I am interested in working on The BGL. I have a lot of experience
with C++ and code refactoring also, since I've done a lot of tutoring and
encountered a lot of strange students' code :)

I have taken a deep look at BGL ( which is why I'm writing my proposal so
late :) ) and to some extend its extension - The Parallel Boost Graph
Library.

I am mostly interested in graph partitioning, as I find them very useful for
parallel computing. I understood the importance of it when I had to do some
major calculations for numerical approximations and wanted to use all the
CPU power available :)

In the project idea list (
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/soc2009#Graphpartitioning) it's said
that it would be good to implement algorithms similar to those in METIS (
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~metis <http://www.cs.umn.edu/%7Emetis>). I've read
some of George Karypis' "Publications Related to Graph Partitioning", so I
was wondering if I could discuss with someone which algorithms would be good
to implement, and of course, how. I found little, if any, discussion about
that in mailing list archive.

Other thing I would really like to see is hypergraph partitioning. I see
that implementing hypergraphs in the BGL is one of GSoC projects, so I would
like to know would it be possible, if that project is not awarded to anyone
for this summer, to do basic implementation of a hypergraph, or (since I see
there is already a discussion about that) if somebody else would do that
project, to collaborate on hypergraph partitioning algorithms.

Last, but not least, an important question: I would like to use this work as
part of my Master's Thesis. I looked at GSoC FAQ (
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs#course_credit),
so I guess it is OK with the program, but I would still like to discuss it
with potential mentor.

Thanks ahead,
Balsa