Subject: Re: [boost] [safebool] Can we generalize it and put it into utilities?
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-31 10:33:50

On Monday, March 30, 2009 9:53 PM
Vladimir Batov wrote:
> > Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart <at> sig.com> writes:
>
> > I think "safe_bool" is the better spelling than "safebool"
> > because "safe" and "bool" are separate words.
>
> Understood. Although there are plenty of examples of new
> words made up of other words: widespread, wholesale,
> cellphone, ... long list.

Your examples from English are valid (though my spelling checker wants to change "cellphone" to "cell phone" ;-). However, if you compare Google results for "safe bool" with those for "safebool," subtracting noise from the latter, like hits on "safe bool," this Boost discussion, and "SafeBool," you'll see a distinct preference for "safe bool." IOW, most usage modifies "bool" with the adjective "safe" rather than forming a new type named "safebool."

> > ... don't call the member function pointer.
> > That is, omit the parentheses:
> >
> > operator safe_bool<Foo>::type
> > { return safe_bool<Foo>(condition); }
>
> I do not understand how the above (with parentheses omitted)
> can possibly work. The original does not call the member
> function pointer. It is an implicit conversion to that type.

I kept seeing a return type and not a conversion operator. I was looking past "operator" and manufactured a function name, apparently! I was tired and unwell. I'm sorry to confuse you.

> > There's certainly something to be said for avoiding the construction
> > of a temporary in which to save the
> > bool on which the implicit conversion operator depends.
> > Everything is simpler:
>
> Yes, simpler... as far as the implementation goes. I do not
> believe it is as
> applicable to the interface (which has the preference):

Neither is complicated, I'll grant. I just figured the class would be easier to understand in its simpler form and the usage is but slightly altered.

> operator safebool<Foo>::type() const
> { return safebool<Foo>(c); }
>
> operator safebool<Foo>::type() const
> { return safebool<Foo>::apply(c); }
>
> To me (the user) #1 is shorter, looks simpler, reads more
> naturally and one less word to remember.

The former relies on creating a temporary and accessing a nested type, thus there's a slight inconsistency in using "safe_bool<Foo>." The latter involves a static member function, rather than an instance, and the nested type, so "safe_bool<Foo>::" is used for both. There's also no conversion operator to invoke. It's just a more straightforward mechanism with more consistency between the return type and invocation, together making it slightly nicer.

> With *both* interfaces supported I am not sure it is worth
> fighting for one or the other. Maybe, instead, we might
> dump one of the following:

I agree with Steven. One interface is sufficient. It would be nice to have more opinions, however. I expect this will warrant a fast-track review, but you could hope for more opinions at that time, since few are available now.

> > make_safe_bool<Foo>(c) would be easier written
> > make_safe_bool(this, c), with the compiler deducing
> > Foo from this, but since the return type must already be spelled
> > safe_bool<Foo>::type, then the function
> > body can be spelled safe_bool<Foo>::apply(c) just as easily.
>
> Yes, I prefer spelling safebool<> for consistency.

>From that response, I'm unsure whether you took my point. To be clear, given the choices,

  1) safe_bool<Foo>::apply(c) and
  2) make_safe_bool(this, c),

and the conversion type,

     safe_bool<Foo>::type,

1) is more consistent than 2), so we should eliminate 2).

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]